Kitchen cabinet refacing is usually a costly project, but is actually not. Cabinet refacing saves time and money by leaving your current cabinet frames intact. for a relatively small amount of reface it money and not having to pay thousands of dollars to a contractor.
Refacing cabinets is really just a matter of switching out the doors after covering all the exposed parts of the frame with veneer that matches the new finish
To start Kitchen cabinet refacing you will need these items
- DRAWER FRONTS
- PLYWOOD PANELS
- SELF-ADHESIVE VENEER
- CARPENTER’S GLUE
- KNOBS AND PULLS
Follow these steps:
- Remove your old kitchen cabinet doors and hardware. Be sure to carefully remove all the screws, so it does not do damage to anything if you take off the hinges.
- Sand of the face and sides of the frames of the cabinet structure to the bare wood. Start with a sandpaper course as 80, and end with 200 grits for final sanding.
- Measure all of the stiles and rails. Take as long as possible to make sure that the measurements are correct.
- Apply carpenter’s glue to both the housing and the back of the sheet. Make sure that the entire back of the sheet and all sealing surfaces of the panel to cover the structure.
- Using a straightedge and a utility knife, cut the veneer into strips that are 1 inch wider and 2 inches longer than each stile and rail.
- Check housing for cracks, leaks or glue, metal false. If you find an error, now is the time to correct them.
- Hold the first piece of veneer up to a stile and align it so that it overlaps at all edges. press the veneer in place.
- push the veneer into place using a firm object, trim the excess veneer, Apply the veneer to the rails of the cabinet so that it overlaps the stiles on both sides.
- Hang the new cabinet doors. Once all of your plate, you are in the final installation of the new cabinet doors progress. Be sure not to scratch the new doors or leave them as you install the hinges. Get someone to help, stability and support.
- Screw the knobs and pulls in place.
- Clean and polish your cabinets. Wipe off fingerprints or stains on your new cabinets, and applied to protect it with a thin coat of furniture polish with a soft cotton cloth. Kitchen cabinet refacing process done.